Our New Two-Factor Authorization and Cyber Security
Security breaches seem to cross our news feeds all too often these days. The last few years have seen even major companies like Yahoo, Target, and Equifax make it into headlines with security breaches. Each breach leaves us to pause and question: “Is this going to impact me?” But all too often that question only makes it as far as an existential exercise, and we fail to translate the thought to taking practical steps to protect ourselves.
Here at SimpleNexus, security is always on our minds. We take seriously the fact that you’ve trusted us with sensitive information that absolutely must be protected. With your security in mind, we want to announce that we now have two-factor authorization available. We’d also like to share some practical tips that individuals can take to protect themselves.
Have You Activated Two-Factor Authorization?
We’re excited to announce that we have built two-factor authorization here at SimpleNexus. This wasn’t built just as a tech perk, but an extra layer of security that you can activate to protect your company, loan originators, and your borrowers.
As you consider two-factor authorization, it’s good to know about the common ways everyone protects their accounts? Any account that you have is protected by some combination of things that can include:
- Something you know—like your username and password
- Something you have—like a verification code
- Or something that you are or is a part of you—such as a fingerprint
So why two-factor authorization? Well, signing into an account is meant to not only load your profile and show you information relevant to you, but protect your account from other people. The more factors set up, the more barriers between a hacker and your sensitive information.
We’ve built a two-factor authorization system where you can use not only your username and password, but you can receive a verification code to access your account, giving you an extra layer of protection. We can set your company up with this company-wide setting. If your company has not yet activated two-factor authorization, contact your SimpleNexus account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org today to get this feature setup.
It’s really easy to use.
- You’ll sign into your app or dashboard the same as always using your username and password.
- You’ll then choose to have your code sent to you via email or text message.
- Just put in your code and you’re in.
Doing this on your app registers your device for the duration of your login. On your dashboard, that computer can be registered for two weeks. You’ll be asked to get a verification code again when signing in more than two weeks since your last two-factor authorization.
How Can You Stay Secure?
Even the most tech-savvy and intelligent people can inadvertently fall prey to a phishing scam or social engineering geared at getting at things you are trying to keep private and secure.
So how do you make sure that you stay safe? Here are a few simple tips that can help you avoid getting hacked.
- Use two-factor authorization on all accounts that have it available. This is becoming standard, especially with products from
- companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter and more.
- Use a trusted password management app. A password manager can help you use password best practices by generating random 12-16 digit passwords to use on your accounts, and save them in the app for protection.
- Watch out for suspicious emails. Phishing scams can get really sophisticated, so be wary of emails that seem out of context or that have branding that seems a little different.
- Always make sure the sender is known before opening attachments in emails or chat apps.
- Never share your login information.
- Make sure that your computer and device have a trusted anti-virus software installed.
- If you hear about a breach, such as the recent Equifax breach, check to make sure your related accounts haven’t been impacted. Be sure to update your passwords and activate two-factor authorization if available.
- SimpleNexus Selected to the 2019 Seminole 100
- New Integration Improves Pull-Through Rates to Deliver Increased Conversions While Enhancing Borrower Experience
- LBA Ware Adds Real-Time Mortgage Compensation Push Notifications to SimpleNexus Mobile Originator App
- SimpleNexus COO Ben Miller Named to 40 Most Influential Mortgage Professionals Under 40
- SimpleNexus CEO Matt Hansen Awarded 2018 Vanguard By HousingWire Magazine